Other Prehistorical Sites
Ix-Xaghra there are several other prehistoric sites. Opposite the modern entry to Ggantija Temples and to its North, there is a cave, known simply as L-Ghar, discovered 1949. It is reached down a steep ramp that leads into a chamber which is somewhat kidney-shaped in plan and of very rough workmanship. Originally, it was probably a rock-cut tomb but it might have served as the temples’ rubish pit since it yielded a great quantity of material.
Situated roughly between Ggantija Temples and the Hypogeum, on the main street TriqTmienja ta’ Settembru, there is a cave known as L-Ghar ta’ Gejzu. It is a natural cave about 13 metres long and 6 metres at its widest point accessible through a circular opening in the roof on one end and a narrow shaft on the other. When it was cleared in 1993 the cave yielded large quantities of potsherds all of scratched Ggantija style, some with abundant traces of red pigment. Before megaliths in the area were displaced in the late 1970s, the archaeologist David Trump identified an apse which he attributed to a temple.
A third cave known as L-Ghar tal-Pergla lies on 1-Irdum tax-Xaghra overlooking il-Wied tal-Pergla. A modern deep shaft cuts right through the cave that consists of a gallery extending for some 13 metres in a northeasterly direction. Entrance is through a circular hole, about one metre in diameter, which at the time of discovery in 1913 was covered with a large stone. Pottery of the Ggantija and other phases was recovered together with stone an bone tools. Finds included a human skull and bones of sheep, pig, ox, rabbit, dog, birds and even tortoise.
Hemmed in between buildings in triq Gnien Imrik there is a huge very irregular slab of coralline limestone known as Il-Gebla ta’ Sansuna. It consists of a huge, very irregular slab of coralline limestone, some four metres in diameter, supported only on one end. It is probably a partly collapsed capstone of a dolmen.
Further on, on the west face of the northern promontory of ix-Xaghra called Il-Qortin tas-Srug, a rock shelter discovered in 1938-39 was reported to contain a deposit of pottery of the late Temple Period together with char:red bones of sheep and goat.
Just opposite Ggantija Temples there is In-Nuffara, a flat-topped hill readily marked by its topography for Bronze Age settlement site. This is confirmed by m abundance of Borg in-Nadur pottery sherds scattered on its surface and by a number of bottle-shaped cavities, or silo-pits, several discovered by the already mentioned Attard-Tabone. Finds in one silo included small clay anchors and spindle-whorls, evidence of textile weaving; querns; and other pottery.